Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing #14 - Technorati

Tecnorati, the great blog warehouse. I completed keyword searches, tag searches, blog post searches, can't remember blog directory searching but I'm sure I must have done it. Keyword search returned blogs with one or more of the keywords so many of the articles didn't exactly fit the search results desired. Blog posts results were very similar to keyword search but seemed a little more to the point. Tag searches revealed somewhat the same results but I found several blogs that no longer existed and many were blocked by me filter.

I liked the arrangement/management of the Blogger Central/What's Popular, helped categorize the voluminous number of blogs in a way that made them "seem" more manageable. I liked that they provided Popular Blogs by fans and Popular Blogs by authority. Found the most popular search tags interesting. Sort of gives us an idea what the majority are looking for and that I'm not generally in that group.

I'm not sure that Technorati is a tool I will use professionally. I've not ruled it out completely but I really need to dig deeper into its offerings. I do appreciate the tagging feature and feel there are great benefits for the consumer. However, I do feel some of the more commercial type blogs are going overboard with the number of tags they add. I realize the idea is for readers to find them but come on, 26 or more tags is ridiculous. When tagging for my own interests I try to keep my tags limited to the very obvious and necessary tags. That makes it easier for me to find what I want and cuts down on the proliferation of tags.

1 comment:

Amitch said...

I was thinking the same thing about Technorati. It's not that great for me to use professionally. It just doesn't seem very user-friendly or inviting to use.