Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing #23 - Reflection of Learnings

As I reflect on my 23 Things experiences and learning I realize I've come a long way but the journey is in no way over. Working through the 23 Things discovery program brought excitement, frustration, agony, success and absolutely no defeat. I really enjoyed this journey!

My favorite discoveries are blogging (quite shocking I must say as I was very resistant in the beginning), Flikr, online image generators, Del.icio.us, and Wikis. I created a wiki, very easy to do, but deleted it due to the fact that students must have e-mail accounts to participate. Del.icio.us has already come in handy when working on a project with co-workers.

This program affected my lifelong learning goals by introducing me to the next generation of web tools and helping me realize I can learn how to use them, find application for their use in education, and encourage me to continue to expand my knowledge and experience in the use of web2.0.

I am very surprised how much I've enjoyed blogging. It is so against my nature and yet I've really enjoyed it, found it so easy to do with little time and effort (compared to many other 2.0 tools), and plan on using it with my students. I've already begun constructing an educational blog. It's still in the design stage but now I know I can do it!

I can't really see that there needs to be any changes in this program. It is well organized giving very specific instructions and expectations allowing Players' to progress at their own rate. After reading some of the other Players' blogs it seems some people might benefit by splitting the program into two separate pieces, 12 Things & 12 More Things. For me, I think it was perfect.

I would be thrilled to participate in another discovery program. I enjoyed everything about this program and thrive on the self pacing aspect. I know that I would only be able to participate during the summer session though as school already takes 10 hours of my day. Participating in this type of program requires me to have a functioning brain which I can't say I have at the end of a work day.

23 Things will stretch your mind, aggravate your mind, lift your mind to new levels of learning and performance.

I think I shall go respond to other Players' blogs now.

1 comment:

VWB said...

your comment about students needing email accounts to access wikis...depends on how you set it up. you can create a pasword that would allow them access without email. You might want to cjheck into it again....many tachers use wikis with students quite successfully!

congratulations on completing your journey...sounds like you and your students are going to have an interesting year usng some 2.0 tools!